The Tour de France, the selectiveness of French fans and the dangers of meat

1 Jul

Alberto Contador is having a tough time these days. Not only is he under a cloud of suspicion following a positive doping test at last year’s Tour, he was also jeered by the fans (predominantly French) under the pre-Tour presentation, and now comes the news that he has found it impossible to eat meat since that much-debated test result as well. He ate his last steak on that fateful evening when the disputed Clenbuterol allegedly entered his blood stream, and hasn’t touched any since.

Now this might just be a way of saying ‘see how much I really do blame that blasted piece of meat’, but if he really wants to endear himself to the French fans – and he could do with a bit of that – then forsaking the country’s beloved boeuf is surely not the best way forward. I don’t think his culinary habits will have much sway over WADA or the UCI either, somehow.

Anyhow, the greatest show on sporting earth starts tomorrow. Are you ready? Here’s hoping Andy Schleck is up for the battle!

About these ads

6 Responses to “The Tour de France, the selectiveness of French fans and the dangers of meat”

1. Tim July 2, 2011 at 8:18 am #

You make a good point about Bertie’s dietary choice, Beate. Sadly, though, I fear this long and drawn-out battle has become as much about PR spin as it has the actual legalities of the case. It’s appalling it has been allowed to drag on so long, and you have to say that RFEC’s role in this, while less than commendable, was spot on in terms of allowing Contador to play the “innocent until proven guilty” card.

Fingers crossed for a good show from Andy. I’ve slapped my eaach-way bet down on Cadel, though.

2. Mark July 3, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

Hi beate,

Great article. I agree it is the greatest show on earth and the ultimate test of physical and mental strength. Such a shame that the big issue isn’t with
    physical prowess but more on drugs.

Let’s hope it’s a great tour this year where the only debates are on who will win.

3. gonecycling July 4, 2011 at 11:40 am #

I told myself I wasn’t going to watch it this year. I am, of course; can’t help myself. But if Contador wins, and his appeal is upheld, that’s it. And I really don’t want Evans to win either (sorry, Tim) In so far as I’m supporting anyone, I’ll be cheering Leopard-Trek (go Jens and Spartacus!) because I’ve ridden Treks for years, and SKY because Sean Yates lives round the corner. Here’s hoping for a good CLEAN three weeks!

4. Tim July 4, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Hey, no worries. My interest in Evans winning is purely financial. Well, that and he has had bad luck in previous Tours. And the fact that the odds on Andy Schleck on offer are ridiculously stingy. I’ll be spending a large chunk of my time watching out for the green jersey competition.

5. Beate Oera-Roderick July 4, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Not watching??? Goodness, I’m still quite a few drug scandals away from that point;)

The Contador saga is a shambles, for sure. I would rather he wasn’t in the peloton (ideally because the case was closed and he was serving what appears to be a deserved ban), but the upside might be that whoever wins it will be able to say they beat him.

I can’t take to Cadel Evans either, I’m afraid, but the best thing that can happen to the Tour is Contador not winning, so I’ll back anyone with half a chance. I do think this might be Schleck’s year, though. His TT times from training are apparently impressive, and he has, unlike Contador, spent the whole season in preparation for this, so I think he’s a good bet. Besides, he lost it by a smaller margin last year than he currently has on Contador.

Now if only Thor contests, and wins, the green jersey, I’ll be a happy girl!

6. Sheree July 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

My beloved is in Australia on business and he says that the Aussies (understandably) are over the moon with Cadel’s start to the Tour. He would be a popular winner.

If I’m honest I don’t mind who wins. However, I will be hoping that my friend Alex gets to spend a day in yellow in his last Tour.